Controversial Art and Censorship
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
· Textbook: Chapter 14
· Minimum of 1 primary sources (artist statement)
· Minimum of 1 scholarly source (in addition to the textbook – from critic)
Although social justice art is not a topic exclusive to the 20th and 21st centuries, the distribution of information regarding controversial art with gender, race, sexual, and/or environmental themes has increased with the proliferation of media. Choose an example of a social justice work of art from the 20th or 21st centuries from any discipline of the humanities (music, literature, sculpture, film, television, etc.). Then, address the following:
· Identify the work and the medium.
· Based on your example, to what extent does this work of art make a social contribution?
· What aesthetic value does the work have? How does it reflect the human condition? How does it relate to your life?
· Has this work ever been censored? If so, explain the circumstances.
· Are governments ever justified in censoring art? Why or why not?
· Examine some of the influences of this work of art. What was the public reaction to this work? Does it effectively portray its message?
· Argue whether or not this work should be considered art. Explain why using terms learned in this course.
· Include an accompanying statement from the artist(s) and a statement from a critic to support your points.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
· Length: 1.5-2 pages (not including title page or references page)
· 1-inch margins
· Double spaced
· 12-point Times New Roman font
· Title page
· References page (minimum of 1 scholarly source and 1 primary source)
CO 2: Analyze the content, forms, and/or techniques of a work of art (e.g., architecture, fine art, literature, and/or drama).
CO 4: Classify works of art using different approaches (by discipline, genre, style, period, etc.) in order to contextualize the works and relate them to a variety of influences.
CO 6: Examine the relationship between aesthetics, art, and life.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more