Criminal Justice II
Select a case from the National Registry of Exonerations. You will show an accurate understanding of themes discussed this semester by completing a case study.
Name, location, age at time of crime, race, and sex of the defendant
2. Case Timeline
a. List important dates and events from the date of the alleged crime to exoneration
3. Outline the Steps in the trial
a. Who was involved (prosecutor, defendant, judge, jury, witnesses?)
Who testified on either side and what did they claim/state?
What evidence was presented?
I. Do you think this was an accurate representation of the case? Why or why not?
What was the verdict?
I. Do you feel this was fair given the circumstances/evidence available at the time? Explain your reasoning
4. Which principle of sentencing does the persons sentence best represent and why? (Retribution, deterrence, incapacitation, rehabilitation)
Describe the principle of sentencing that you think would have been best served in this case and why? If it is the same as what the case followed, explain what you think would have been the worst option and why.
5. What form of punishment was issued? (capital, imprisonment, probation, fines, restitution, community service or restorative justice?)
Describe the form of punishment that you think would have been best served in this case and why? If it is the same as what the case followed, explain what you think would have been the worst option and why.
6. What are the sentencing guidelines for the location of the trial? (do they use determinate, indeterminate, good time, or in-truth sentencing?)
Describe the parameters that guide judges, juries, and prosecutors when sentencing defendants.
Were there any mitigating or aggravated factors that contributed to sentencing decisions?
7. In what ways, if any, were the policies of mandatory minimums, habitual offender, or three strikes laws connected to the case?
Was there any evidence of sentencing disparity or discrimination. Explain why or why not.
8. Do you feel this trial violates any constitutional rights?
Explain the ways in which it did or did not violate the 5th, 6th, and 8th amendments.
9. Describe the points at which you feel the criminal justice system failed the defendant.
What policies, practices, or changes could be implemented to prevent future false convictions.
*Powerpoint or written report*
*Powerpoints should include graphics
*Exoneration cases should be in the last 25 years
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more