What social determinants of health are addressed through this program/protection and how? 3) Who is eligible for this pr
Students will be able to describe social assistance programs available to protect/support population health.
For this assignment, you will examine a safety net program or legal protection that supports health, analyze the role and adequacy of the program in addressing social determinants of health; promoting population health, and reducing health disparities; and describe the gaps in the program/protection.
Choose one of the following:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Social Security Insurance (SSI)
- Unemployment Insurance (UI)
- Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)
- National School Breakfast and School Lunch Programs
- Housing assistance (public housing or Section 8) through HUD
You should include:
1. Introduce your paper with a general statement about the paper, then a purpose statement. A purpose statement starts with: The purpose of this paper is to discuss . . . . then the key elements of what you are going to discuss. This should identify and describe the program/legal protection you will be discussing.
2. Discuss the following: 1) What is the background for this program? How did it come about? 2) What social determinants of health are addressed through this program/protection and how? 3) Who is eligible for this program/protection?
3. 1) What are the limitations/gaps in the program/protection? How do these limitations/gaps fail individual members or groups within the population? 2) What can we, as nurses, do to encourage the use of these programs/protections and what can we do if a patient is ineligible? Are there alternatives we can recommend or connections we can facilitate?
4. End the paper with a 3-5 sentence conclusion that summarizes your thoughts.
Your paper should be a minimum of 600 words, and not more than 750 words.
Your paper should be in proper 7th Edition APA Format and include a title page and properly formatted references.