Explain your thoughts on the historical movement.Consider the following questions and respond to one of them using speci
Step 1: Background Information
- Read Chapter 21 “New Voices for Women and African Americans” in your textbook to get an overview of The Suffrage Movement.
- How did black women fit in the Suffrage Movement? Read the article, “Black Women & The Suffrage Movement: 1848-1923” to get a sense of their challenges.
Look for specific examples of differing perspectives and take notes.
Step 2: Analyze Primary Sources
- Explore anti-suffragist cartoons. Without TV, radio, or social media, critics used cheap color-lithographed postcards to attack suffragettes, scaremonger, and assert the status quo.
- What is the key message in each of the postcards?
- How do they attack, scaremonger, or assert the status quo?
- Alice Paul and the National Women’s movement. Watch the short video to learn about one of the extremist suffragists, Alice Paul.
- Read the article in the Issues & Controversies in American History database. PDF of the article here: Should the Woman Suffrage Movement Adopt Militant Tactics.pdf Should the Woman Suffrage Movement Adopt Militant Tactics.pdf – Alternative Formats
- What are the pros and cons of each side of the militant tactics issue?
Step 3: Plan, Organize, & Write Your Paper
You will write a 1.5 to 2-page paper with your view on the supporters and non-supporters of the suffrage movement and whether or not discrimination of women still exists today . Write your paper on a Word document.
Your paper should address the following information (body paragraphs):
- Summarize the arguments of the suffrage movement and the anti-suffrage movement.
- Summarize the arguments for and against using militant tactics in the suffrage movement.
- Explain your thoughts on the historical movement.Consider the following questions and respond to one of them using specific details and examples from the readings and the primary sources.
- What attitudes about women and their relationships with men had to be overcome before women could participate in politics?
- What extra challenges did African-American women face in the struggle to voting rights?
- Explain your thoughts the vestiges of discrimination against women that still exist today.Consider the following questions and respond to one of them using specific details and examples from the readings and the primary sources.
- Are women discriminated against in politics today?Are some of the arguments against women the same today as they were in the early 1900s? How are they alike and how are they different?
- Women make up half the population of the United States.Are they represented in political office according to those numbers?Why or why not?
You will also need an introductory paragraph which explains the issue and provides any background information needed for the reader to understand the context of the issues.
Your paper should end with a concluding paragraph which addresses why this issue is important and what implications it has for today.